From TheMorganReport
Jump to: navigation, search
Previous Page Next Page

Reports of Committee on Foreign Relations 1789-1901 Volume 6 pp576-577 300dpi scan (VERY LARGE!)

Text Only


about twenty minutes of 3, and it took about ten minutes to read the proclamation.

Senator Gray. The clock stopped about a quarter of 3?

Mr. Jones. Yes; we did not intend to be there until 3, o'clock.

Senator Gray. After the proclamation had been read you went into the finance room. Who went with you?

Mr. Jones. I think I went in there to notify the register of accounts that I had taken a position as a member of the Provisional Government.

Senator Gray. YOU were one of the Provisional Government.

Mr. Jones. Yes; he recognized me.

Senator Gray. What did the Executive Council do? I suppose you got together as a body, you four men?

Mr. Jones. Yes; with the Advisory Council, got together and we appointed first Col. Soper as commander of the forces, and then proclaimed martial law. Then some attended to different things. Mr. Dole notified his clerk to prepare notices to the various consuls and diplomatic corps that we had taken possession of the Government, and were in possession of the Government House and archives.

Senator Gray. Do you recollect what time it was that notice was sent to Mr. Stevens?

Mr. Jones. I think it must have been about 4 o'clock.

Senator Gray. When did you get an answer from him?

Mr. Jones. I do not remember; it was very soon.

Senator Gray. Before dark?

Mr. Jones. I think it was just about dark.

Senator Gray. Now, you say, that it was about 6 o'clock that the captain of the Boston called upon you. When was that? You say in your deposition that "Capt. Wiltse called upon us and said that we could not be recognized as a de facto government until we had possession of the station house and barracks." When was that?

Mr. Jones. This same afternoon.

Senator Gray. After the proclamation had been read?

Mr. Jones. After the proclamation had been read, and I think it was before we heard from Mr. Stevens. Of course, it was a day of very great excitement, and the hours were not very firmly fixed in our minds.

Senator Gray. When did you get possession of the station house and barracks?

Mr. Jones. I should say about half-past 7—7 or half-past.

Senator Frye That same day?

Mr. Jones. That same evening; yes.

Senator Gray. Did you go to the station house?

Mr. Jones. We sent a squad down there and they delivered it over.

Senator Gray. Had you previously sent representatives to the Queen?

Mr. Jones. As I said a minute ago, the ministers sent for us to come to the station house. We refused to go, and assured them if they would come up and interview us we would talk over the situation.

Senator Gray. When was this?

Mr. Jones. This was a very few minutes after Capt. Wiltse had been in.

Senator Gray. Did the ministers come up?

Mr. Jones. They came up. First Mr. Cornwell and Colburn came. They went back and reported to their colleagues, and Peterson and Parker came up with them the second time. It was then that they agreed to turn everything over to us.


Senator Gray. Was it then that the Queen abdicated—signed her abdication?

Mr. Jones. No. Mr. Parker said he did not want to have any bloodshed, and they were quite ready to deliver over everything to us. Then we sent down to the station house, and Mr. Wilson, the marshal, insisted on having an order from the Queen.

Senator Gray. How far away was the station house?

Mr. Jones. It was about five minutes walk from the Government building.

Senator Frye The station house is nothing but the police headquarters?

Mr. Jones. That is all—police headquarters.

Senator Gray. Where are the barracks?

Mr. Jones. There [indicating on the diagram] is the station house and there [indicating] is the government house, and that is about five minutes walk.

Senator Gray. Where are the barracks?

Mr. Jones. The barracks are over here [indicating].

Senator Gray. Did you have any communication from the barracks?

Mr. Jones. Not until later.

Senator Gray. How late was it that you had communication from the barracks ?

Mr. Jones. I think about 9 o'clock Capt. Nowlein---

Senator Gray. Was it as late as 9?

Mr. Jones. I think not; I think it was about 8 o'clock that he was there. It may have been a little later.

Senator Gray. Was that after you heard from the Queen—heard of her abdication?

Mr. Jones. Yes.

Senator Gray. Her abdication?

Mr. Jones. Yes.

Senator Gray. When was that abdication secured? I do not suppose she came into your presence and made known her abdication.

Mr. Jones. Oh, no.

Senator Gray. It was brought by her ministers?

Mr. Jones. She agreed to surrender, and she did it by being allowed to make a protest. She made a protest.

Senator Gray. About what time did you get that abdication and protest?

Mr. Jones. I should say that was a little before 8 o'clock, as I remember.

Senator Gray. And it was after 8 and toward 9 o'clock that you had the surrender of the barracks from Capt. Nowlein?

Mr. Jones. Very soon after. I do not remember; there were so many events that followed so closely upon one another.

Senator Gray. You said first 9 o'clock and then about 8.

Mr. Jones. I do not think 9 o'clock; nothing as late as 9.

Senator Gray. First you said 9 and then you said 8 was the time that the surrender of the barracks occurred. The Queen's abdication you said was about 8 o'clock, as you say now.

Mr. Jones. I think so.

Senator Gray. Do you recollect when you got your answer from Mr. Stevens?

Mr. Jones. I do not.

Senator Gray. Do you recollect getting it all?

Mr. Jones. Oh, yes.

S. Doc. 231, pt 6----37

Previous Page Next Page