From TheMorganReport
Jump to: navigation, search
Previous Page Next Page

Reports of Committee on Foreign Relations 1789-1901 Volume 6 pp710-711 300dpi scan (VERY LARGE!)

Text Only



The Chairman. What was your duty on shipboard?

Mr. Moore. I was navigator of the U. S. S. Boston.

The Chairman. In January, 1893?

Mr. Moore. January, 1893; yes.

The Chairman. Before your cruise down to Hilo and Lahaina had you been ashore often?

Mr. Moore. I had.

The Chairman. Were you acquainted with the state of public opinion then as to the political affairs of the Government in Honolulu?

Mr. Moore. Somewhat; I can not say that I was thoroughly acquainted with the political status.

The Chairman. Did you observe any agitation or commotion amongst the people in respect to a change of government, or in respect to annexation, or any other matter that was of a serious character?

Mr. Moore. This was before we went to Hilo?

The Chairman. Before.

Mr. Moore. No, I did not. I heard annexation spoken of prior to our departure, and as far back as twenty years ago.

The Chairman. You were there at Honolulu twenty years ago?

Mr. Moore. I was there twenty years ago this coming February; yes.

The Chairman. What ship were you on?

Mr. Moore. The United States ship Portsmouth.

The Chairman. Under whose command?

Mr. Moore. S. J. Skerrett, now Rear-Admiral.

The Chairman. What year was that?

Mr. Moore. 1874; I was there the latter part of 1873 and early part of 1874.

The Chairman. Who was then King of Hawaii?

Mr. Moore. In 1873, when I was out there, Lunalilo was King. In 1874, about the time of our arrival, February, 1874, David Kalakaua was elected King.

The Chairman. The agitation that occurred at that time was the controversy, as you understand it, over the election of Queen Emma as the successor of Lunalilo, or Kalakaua?

Mr. Moore. It was.

The Chairman. Was there any commotion there at the time?

Mr. Moore. There was great commotion.

The Chairman. Was it confined to the natives, or was it spread through all the community?

Mr. Moore. There was considerable excitement and great interest through the entire community; but the rioting was confined entirely to the natives.

The Chairman. Was the riot before or after the determination of the election of Kalakaua?

Mr. Moore. After.

The Chairman. Was it serious rioting?

Mr. Moore. It was serious rioting, so much so that the United States forces were called upon to suppress it.

The Chairman. Was it attended with arson and other crimes of that nature?

Mr. Moore. It was not; but what the result would have been had the United States forces not been landed and the riot immediately suppressed, I do not know; it would undoubtedly have been very serious.


The Chairman. The commotion was, therefore, radical and severe?

Mr. Moore. It was.

The Chairman. You say the United States forces were called at the instance of the Government. What Government?

Mr. Moore. I did not intend to say at the instance of the Government; but we were called through the American minister. And I am under the impression that the request was made on him by the governor of the Island of Oahu.

The Chairman. There were governors in those islands?

Mr. Moore. Yes.

The Chairman. Were there any other ships of war there?

Mr. Moore. Yes; the U. S. S. Tuscarora and the English ship Tenedos.

The Chairman. Were there any British forces landed?

Mr. Moore. Yes; our forces landed first, followed by the British forces. The United States forces were on the shore perhaps twenty minutes before the British forces landed.

The Chairman. How long did they remain on shore?

Mr. Moore. From one to two weeks; I do not remember the exact time.

The Chairman. Did they camp on shore?

Mr. Moore. Yes.

The Chairman. Do you recollect what buildings they occupied? Mr. Moore. The United States forces were quartered in two buildings; one, the legislative building or hall, the other the armory. Both of these were near the landing. The British troops were quartered at the palace.

The Chairman. Iolani Palace?

Mr. Moore. Yes; Iolani Palace.

The Chairman. This legislative hall of which you speak was near the landing?

Mr. Moore. It was.

The Chairman. Was it then the Government building? Mr. Moore. It was then the Government building, and corresponded to what is now known as the Government building. The name of that building I do not remember, but it corresponds to what is now spoken of as the Government building.

The Chairman. The barracks of the King's army, and in which one of your detachments was quartered ?

Mr. Moore. I think the Government militia's armory; I think that is what it was called. I think it was the armory of the milita, not of the regular troops.

The Chairman. Do you recollect who was then the commander of the King's forces, the Government forces?

Mr. Moore. I think it was Berger; but I am not sure.

The Chairman. Was he an American or native?

Mr. Moore. A German or Austrian, I think. That I am not positive of.

The Chairman. During the time of the stay of the troops on the island on that occasion, was there any conflict between them and the people.

Mr. Moore. There was none. The people had broken into the legislative hall and had attaked the legislators with billets of wood, legs of tables, and such other offensive weapons as they could get hold of, and also pitched one or more of the representatives out of the window or windows, 20 feet or more above the ground. As soon as we

Previous Page Next Page