From TheMorganReport
Jump to: navigation, search
Previous Page Next Page

Reports of Committee on Foreign Relations 1789-1901 Volume 6 pp738-739 300dpi scan (VERY LARGE!)

Text Only


Mr. Laird. Yes.

The Chairman. How far is that building from the palace?

Mr. Laird. I suppose 150 yards.

The Chairman. Were there any persons in the palace enclosure beside the Queen?

Mr. Laird. I saw some members of the Queen's Guard. The gates were closed and 1 of the members of the guard was at the gate and 1 or 2 at the palace steps.

The Chairman. Was the Queen alone?

Mr. Laird. She was alone when I saw her on the balcony.

The Chairman. Was there any array of troops or policemen at the palace?

Mr. Laird. If there were I did not see them.

The Chairman. Were the persons around the palace numerous or scattering?

Mr. Laird. There were a great many more people on the street at that time of the evening than you would expect to find in Honolulu under ordinary circumstances.

The Chairman. I speak of the palace—immediately surrounding the palace. Were persons around there?

Mr. Laird. Directly in front of the palace, on the street, in the square there?

The Chairman. I am not speaking of that.

Mr. Laird. No; I did not see any one around the palace, except the guards of whom I spoke.

The Chairman. Guards at the step and one at the gate?

Mr. Laird. Yes.

The Chairman. Was there any alarm during the night?

Mr. Laird. I think there were two alarms of fire that night. Mr. Young had the guard. There were either two or three alarms of fire that night.

The Chairman. Did any men turn out?

Mr. Laird. I think Mr. Swinburne himself went out to see where it was, reconnoiter, and also sent an officer of the guard out.

The Chairman. Who was appointed officer of the day?

Mr. Laird. Mr. Young was officer of the day the day on which we landed.

The Chairman. The next morning, where did you go?

Mr. Laird. The next morning the regular routine was laid out— the men were confined in such a small place that it was necessary to keep them busy in order to keep them contented. The routine was laid out and continued there until we went down to Camp Boston.

The Chairman. How many days did you remain at Arion Hall?

Mr. Laird. Three days—three nights.

The Chairman. Then you went to Camp Boston?

Mr. Laird. Camp Boston.

The Chairman. How far away is that from Arion Hall?

Mr. Laird. Probably an eighth of a mile—little over.

The Chairman. Was that further from or nearer to the barracks than Arion Hall?

Mr. Laird. Further from the barracks; yes, decidedly.

The Chairman. And also the police station?

Mr. Laird. Nearer the police station.

The Chairman. How long did your detachment remain at Camp Boston after you got there?

Mr. Laird. Until 11 o'clock on the morning of April 1.


The Chairman. During the time you stayed there, were patrols sent out through the city?

Mr. Laird. Not for the purpose of patrolling the city. Men were sent out for drill in various directions in order to give them exercise but they were not sent out in the nature of a patrol.

The Chairman. Do you say there was no patrol established in Honolulu by your troops?

Mr. Laird. Not on the streets.

The Chairman. I mean outside of your own camp.

Mr. Laird. Not outside of our own camp.

The Chairman. You confined your duties to the protection of your camp?

Mr. Laird. Directly to having the men remain in camp, and no man was allowed to go out except on duty during the first two weeks we were there.

The Chairman. During that time was there turbulence in the city?

Mr. Laird. No; the city was quiet. There were a great many rumors of threatened action on the part of the Queen's followers; but there was no disorder of any kind.

The Chairman. Were you aware of any attempt at an opposition to the Provisional Government—I mean armed opposition?

Mr. Laird. There was not. I saw a number of rumors in that regard in the papers, but personally I was not aware of it.

The Chairman. At what time was the surrender of the Queen's military establishment made—troops and munitions of war?

Mr. Laird. That I can not state. I know they were the last to surrender. I think it was on the evening of the 18th.

The Chairman. Did they surrender after the police had surrendered that were under Wilson's command?

Mr. Laird. Yes. I think the Provisional Government allowed the Queen to retain them simply as a matter of courtesy, not that they feared them at all.

The Chairman. Betain the police?

Mr. Laird. No; retain her own personal guard. After they did surrender, a certain number was allowed to remain with her.

The Chairman. After the surrender took place?

Mr. Laird. After the surrender of the Queen's body guard they allowed her to retain a certain number.

Senator Gray. That was after her abdication?

Mr. Laird. Oh, certainly; some time after.

The Chairman. Were these men allowed to remain?

Mr. Laird. I do not know.

The Chairman. Were any police retained for the protection of her property?

Mr. Laird. Of the municipal police?

The Chairman. Yes.

Mr. Laird. I can not say. She was given all the protection that she required. If she did request a detail of police, I am quite sure it was given.

Senator Gray. Why are you sure; because of the general conduct of the Provisional Government?

Mr. Laird. They were very lenient.

Senator Gray. You knew what was going on with the Provisional Government.

Mr. Laird. Yes.

Previous Page Next Page