From TheMorganReport
Jump to: navigation, search
Previous Page Next Page

Reports of Committee on Foreign Relations 1789-1901 Volume 6 pp728-729 300dpi scan (VERY LARGE!)

Text Only


The Chairman. At guard mounting?

Mr. Hobbs. Yes. At half-past 9, I think, word was passed that we would not be allowed to visit the shore.

The Chairman. Were any preparations made during Sunday for sending troops ashoret

Mr. Hobbs. I think not on Sunday.

The Chairman. Were any made on Monday after these orders were given for the officers to remain on board?

Mr. Hobbs. If my recollection serves me correctly it was not until Monday afternoon, until 1 o'clock, after the men had their dinners, that arrangements were made in case they were to land to get their belongings together, their equipments.

The Chairman. The equipments of such parties as went out from that ship consisted first of arms and ammunition, and then provisions?

Mr. Hobbs. They did not go on shore until after they had their supper that night, and they did not carry any provisions except some hardtack, which was taken, and then Mr. Moore and I were left on board ship to send provisions to them the next morning.

The Chairman. Do you recollect Mr. Stevens coming aboard ship on Monday?

Mr. Hobbs. I do. I remember that he came on board ship about 3 o'clock Monday afternoon. I saw him aboard ship. I did not have any conversation with him.

The Chairman. Had these orders and preparations for sending ships ashore been on foot before Mr. Stevens came on the ship?

Mr. Hobbs. I am unable to state accurately in regard to that, because it would not come within my supervision in any event.

The Chairman. But the order for the officers to remain on board ship was earlier?

Mr. Hobbs Yes, in the morning.

The Chairman. Before Mr. Stevens came?

Mr. Hobbs. Oh, yes.

The Chairman. Are those unusual orders when a vessel is in port?

Mr. Hobbs. Yes, I should say so. But it happened on one or two occasions after the revolution, while Admiral Skerrett was there. I think there were one or two days when we were not allowed to visit the shore.

The Chairman. It created the expectation that there was to be some need for the troops?

Mr. Hobbs. It did.

The Chairman. Then you went in on Tuesday morning?

Mr. Hobbs. At l o'clock Tuesday morning I went ashore on duty.

The Chairman. Where were the United States troops then?

Mr. Hobbs. They were in a hall called Arion hall, in the rear of the opera house.

The Chairman. Quartered there?

Mr. Hobbs. Took up their quarters there at 8 o'clock the evening before.

The Chairman. How long did they remain there before going to Camp Boston?

Mr. Hobbs. About a week; Capt. Wiltse directed me to find the agent of the building and pay for its occupancy while our people were quartered there, which I did.

The Chairman. You had nothing to do with quartering the troops there, though?

Mr. Hobbs. No.


The Chairman. When the troops were at Camp Boston, did they put up tents?

Mr. Hobbs. No; they occupied a large house which belonged to Mr. Bishop, with large, extensive grounds. For that establishment I paid at the rate $75 per month. Mr. Damon, the agent, stated he had rented it for that purpose. That was since we were there. They rented at that rate, and we paid the same rate.

The Chairman. When you got off on Monday were all the troops at Arion Hall, or at different places?

Mr. Hobbs. A large portion of the marines were at the consul-general's office and about 12 at Mr. Stevens's house.

The Chairman. Were you present at any interviews between the Queen's ministers and the persons who were then conducting the Provisional Government.

Mr. Hobbs. No.

The Chairman. You know nothing of that?

Mr. Hobbs. No.

The Chairman. After the establishment of the Provisional Government, how long did you remain in Honolulu or Hawaii?

Mr. Hobbs. The ship Boston?

The Chairman. Yes?

Mr. Hobbs. Until—I think we left there on the 26th of September last.

The Chairman. You were not attached to any other ship?

Mr. Hobbs. No.

The Chairman. You came away with the Boston?

Mr. Hobbs. Came away with the Boston.

The Chairman. During that period of time, from the establishment of this Provisional Government until the time you left there, state whether peace and quietude and order prevailed in Honolulu, or were there outbreaks, public agitations?

Mr. Hobbs. Peace and quiet obtained all the time.

The Chairman. Testing the government in control of public affairs there with what you saw of the condition of the community, commerce, trade, and all that, would you say that is a good government or bad government?

Mr. Hobbs. I should say it was a good government.

The Chairman. At any time that you have been in Hawaii, have you seen any government that you thought was better than that?

Mr. Hobbs. No.

The Chairman. State whether you believe that the resources in command of that Provisional Government, after it had been established by men and money and arms and the support of the people, were such that the Queen, with what she had at her command and without assistance from foreign powers, could have overcome that government.

Mr. Hobbs. In my opinion she never could, never.

The Chairman. You think it would have been a rash and dangerous venture to undertake it?

Mr. Hobbs. I do.

The Chairman. Do you think now, without the assistance of foreign governments, the Queen could break down the Provisional Goveminent?

Mr. Hobbs. I do not.

The Chairman. So that, as to these limits on power and authority, would you consider that the Provisional Government is a more permanent government than a royal government could be at this time?

Previous Page Next Page